The plaintiff in Cline et al. v. Publix Supermarkets, Inc. et al. had a son who was severely allergic to nuts. She kept Benadryl and an epinephrine pen with her at all times. She carefully read ingredient labels and always questioned whether cross-contamination may have occurred when obtaining food from restaurants, friends or grocery stores.
Despite all of this, the Alabama woman says her son died of an allergic reaction he suffered after biting into a grocery store cookie that contained walnuts. This was after she says the store employee assured her there were no nuts in the cookie. After taking the cookie home, she even took two bites herself to confirm there were no nuts in it before giving the rest to her son.
However, according to the lawsuit, the boy took three bites before he ran to tell her his mouth was burning. His aunt administered the Benadryl while his mother gave him an epinephrine shot in the thigh. But the boy's condition continued to worsen. As he lost consciousness, his family called for emergency help. His throat swelled. Emergency workers tried to revive him as they rushed him to the hospital. He did not survive.